Login Form

Is anyone interested in a better Q2 Kit?

More
8 years 1 month ago #1495 by NateD2
Barron,

Aircraft do not always scale 1 to 1. So if you scaled up a Q1 to Q2 size it may or may not be structurally sound.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #1496 by NateD2
California Dave,

I was about 1/3 the way done with the 3D models when I put the project on the back burner. I do have a fairly nice set of 3D models of the fuselage. They aren't really a perfect reproduction of the Q2 / Q200. BUT I did pull the basic shape, size and style from the Q2/Q200 by tracing the original prints digitally and then used that data to make the 3D model. In theory if someone is really really serious about it I can turn the models into forms or a mold of some sort.

If someone is serious about building a fuselage from my CAD models it would take some effort and time but I could finish the model and would be interested in making at very least a mock-up of the fuselage.

From there the Q2 wings could be used. In fact I had started the modeling of the Q2 wings when I decided to make some design changes to fit my own aircraft requirements. In theory I have the data to model the wings as the original Q2 plans show. However I may need some help with detailing the internals of them. I was able to look at a few wings at Oshkosh the past few years. I don't think they are terribly complicated to build, though I think they could use a little bit of modernization in design and fabrication.

How serious are you about building one of these?

More
8 years 1 month ago #1497 by California Dave
Thanks Nate. I am serious, but I am also a first time homebuilder who is not looking to take a route any more involved than necessary. I know nothing about CAD. I had wanted to build one if these since I was a kid, and was saddened to hear that production had stopped on the original kits... my funds and time are also limited, so I am , unfortunately, probably not an appropriate candidate to go first on something like this.....

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #1498 by California Dave
I paid my membership dues, but am unable to access the article "before you buy"... so there is some info that I don't have access to presently...

Could someone answer this one for me: If I find a complete kit for sale, am I doing this simply for the fuselage? The foam in a kit from the 1980's can't be of any use, right?

Thanks for any replies,

Dave
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by California Dave.

More
8 years 1 month ago #1499 by NateD2
I suppose it all depends. You could use a kit built that long ago whether it is the entire kit or the fuselage. One thing that always concerned me is how the kits are stored. To my knowledge the epoxy and foam are sensitive to sunlight and can degrade if stored improperly(perhaps other builders could comment to confirm what I'm saying).

If you can find a kit that has been stored properly and is in good shape there's no reason I can think of to not finish it and use it. Again other builders could comment.

As stated you don't need a kit to build one. You will however need to do a bit of learning prior to undertaking this project.

Do you have experience and knowledge in the following (or a desire to learn):

1) Patience
2) Basic wood working skills
3) Experience building things
4) Experience with composites
5) Experience with wiring and electronics
6) Experience with metal work
7) Experience reading other people's drawings
8) A fundamental understanding of aircraft and aerodynamics.
9) Experience with engines and propellers.

These are what I'd deem the basic skills of building an airplane.

If you are good at carpentry you can build your own fuselage it takes a bit more time but it can be done with the plans. You can also make your own wings from the prints with a bit of understanding of composites and aerodynamics.

You may need to ask for assistance on build schedules of the composites. But cutting and carving foam isn't to terribly difficult or complicated. It is however time consuming to get right.

When I was working on my CAD model I had considered offering pre-cut foam to build the airplane. I'm not sure it would be that terribly difficult to do.

It may also be possible to get a new kit made. As the molds for the aircraft are still around.

Hope this helps.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #1500 by California Dave
Thanks Nate, that was very helpful. [EDIT]

Sorry, but I'm still a little confused...perhaps because there is a lot of information and a few opinions in some older forum posts that indicate that a Q2 CANNOT be built from the plans by a builder with AVERAGE skills, and that locating a kit is absolutely necessary to get the fuselage built. I realize that there has been some kind of evolution with everything involving the Q2, but I'm not able to put together the big picture as far as where everything stands today.

Perhaps I simply missed some vital bit of information somewhere on this site, but I see plans being offered, but other statements telling me that plans will not be enough.

Perhaps the plans were updated since those older forum posts were made???

I'll re-phrase my question here:

I would like to build a Q200. Are the plans that are currently offered on this site complete enough to build a plans-built plane? Or will I need to find a kit as well?

Additionally, it seems as thought the Quickie Builders Association calendar has not been updated since 2014... has everything just dried up?

Thanks and sorry for the trouble,

Dave
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by California Dave.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.412 seconds