Login Form

Metric plans and new drawings.

More
12 years 10 months ago #1114 by haiqu
Dan,

How long one cuts a foam block before using the hot wire is such an insignificant part of building as to be irrelevant. Anyone who can't cope with a new numeric system is unlikely to be able to build anything, much less a whole airplane.

Yes, I like to encourage other as well. But I like to encourage them to think about what they're trying to achieve and not just blunder along performing useless actions. From observation, such actions include redesigning the aircraft, computer modelling, proposing to use engines which don't exist and a host of other foolish theoretical pursuits. They would be better off building a surfboard, at least that has fibreglass in it.

Regardless of what rating this forum has deigned to bestow on me, I am still an engineer with over 40 years' experience. My chosen field isn't aviation or even mechanical engineering, granted, but the discipline required is similar and I've done enough repairs and modifications on machinery, including 9 years running a laser cutting contracting business, to be able to forward relevant commentary most of the time.

However if you'd prefer I didn't post so much, just ask.

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #1115 by admin

How long one cuts a foam block before using the hot wire is such an insignificant part of building as to be irrelevant.

Cutting the foam blocks is irrelevant only if you're using a properly set-up CNC hot wire machine. However, it becomes VERY relevant when a person is manually cutting a tapered airfoil using templates.

The distance BETWEEN the templates, and their relative position on the end of the foam blocks determines the proper taper, sweep, and twist in the finished wing.

Again, I appreciate your constructive comments, but a little humility is also appreciated. Let's share our experience, and not laud it over others.

Enough said, just take it easy my friend, don't beat up on others, that's all I'm asking. I will try to do the same.

Thanks,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
12 years 10 months ago #1116 by haiqu
My point was not that the act of getting the airfoils right is irrelevant, but that the portion of the build that this represents is irrelevant in perspective of the whole task. Hotwiring is at most a day's work, whereas the build could take months.

Anyhow, you've seen my other comments via private email so I'll leave this topic alone. Don't want to be seen as the resident ogre who toasts newbies or nuthin', although it's an appealing role. :P

Rob

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.494 seconds