Login Form

Hi..newbie here...

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #1575 by Quickster1
Bought a used Quickie 1 a while back, the owner had a rotax 503 in it for a bit but was told it was way too much engine and just not the answer. So as of right now im in the middle of installing a new EH72FI Robin Subaru 28hp, ordered a redrive from Ace Aviation, should be here soon I hope.
The biggest problem Ive come across so far is designing an engine mount that works, because the engine sits so low on the firewall and with no other mounting locations besides the flat base its hard to come up with a design that allows me to build a common tube engine mount so I settled for an all aluminum mount where all the pieces are machined out of solid aluminum bar. I try to keep my pieces light, I did some calculations, the 4130 tubing mount would have been around the 5 pound mark, and with my aluminum so far im sitting at just below 7 pounds..but still have some material to remove.
I'll try to post some pictures once I have the mount completed.

If theres anybody doing something familiar Id love some feed back, no such thing as too much info and wisdom.

Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Quickster1. Reason: Added more info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #1580 by Edgar
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Edgar.

More
6 years 9 months ago #1581 by Edgar
Replied by Edgar on topic Hi..newbie here...
Hi newbie, the SD1 minisport page has a builders link with lots of detail about v twin industrial motors. I'm sure you can get some ideas off that.
cheers, Paul.

More
6 years 9 months ago #1582 by Quickster1
Replied by Quickster1 on topic Hi..newbie here...
I believe I got it figured out, I started with an aluminum frame but ended up being too heavy. It would've looked good but couldn't use it..settled for the regular chromoly tubing. I added a few pictures, but still a ways to go. As you can see the cowling was built for the Rotax 503 which is much longer than the Subaru, but still need to install my redrive.
Kinda hoping to modify the cowling so I don't need to build a new one.
The engine as it sits without oil comes in at 95lbs and the engine mount 5lbs. Looks like the total with redrive, oil, and prop will be somewhere between 110 to 120lbs.
Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #1583 by Edgar
Replied by Edgar on topic Hi..newbie here...
Looks good,your right the aluminium mount is chuncky style.
Just for your info the SD1 engines, one at 25hp and the new one at 33hp don't have redrives. The prop is just bolted on to a specially made prop shaft. I'm sure it would save some weight and Igor the designer would most certainly sell you the bits. Their engines are B and S I believe. They call them SE25 and SE33 for legal reasons. They make a nice cowling as well, might fit the quickie?
Hope that helps, cheers, Paul.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds