Login Form

Onan Engine Installation Questions [Ongoing Build]

More
8 years 11 months ago #1361 by drathi
Hello,

I'm trying to make the baffling for the Onan engine. I have the EB3 and EB4 templates, but I am missing the EB1 and EB2 baffle templates from the appendix section. Does anyone know/have the missing data? Additionally, a google image search has brought up mostly low resolution pictures of other quickies with the Onan engine, and even fewer images showing the baffling. I would like to get a better visual on how the baffling is constructed, what to do/what to avoid, etc. A source for better images of already-built quickies would be very helpful.

The other questions I have regard the oil system; The plan photos show a spin-on type oil filter, but the Onan I have has a machined face and a plug with a 0.25" square head threaded plug in this area. How is oil filtration taken care of with this engine configuration?

I have a standard aircraft-type electric oil pressure gauge pulled from an old VariEze in addition to the one supplied by Onan, which is heavier. How does one go about installing the sending unit for to the engine? Additionally, where does the oil temperature gauge's sender get installed?

Thank you,
Dhruv

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #1362 by admin
Hi Dhruv,
And welcome. The EB1 and EB2 templates are on appendix sheet 2 here .

They are also included in the Ultimate Quickie Information Package .

I do know that QAC made some mods to the engines, before shipping them with the original kits, to make them lighter. I'll do a little digging and see if I can find some better pictures for you.

Thanks,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by admin.

More
8 years 11 months ago #1363 by drathi
Thanks for the picture, Dan. From what I can tell, the oil filter is missing from the Onans in this picture, too.

I actually have the paper originals of the plans with all the appendix pages except for the page that has the templates in question. I'm wondering if making something to-size for EB1 and EB2 around the engine is the way to go, because even with exact templates, my read on the baffling is that it needs to be adjusted to fit each particular engine installation to function as intended.

In the spirit of show-and-tell, I have attached a recent image of the project.

Thank you,

Dhruv Rathi
Onan Q1 [Under Construction]
Attachments:

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds