Login Form

Q-200 parts availability for partial kit

More
13 years 3 months ago #975 by mskiby
I would like to thank you all for having this forum for people that love the Quickie. My father in-law built a Q-200 in the late 80's that actually competed at tha CAFE 400 and did very well. Because of ground handing issues the plane was then stored in the hanger hung from the ceiling for several years. I bought the project and a Tri gear conversion from Scott Swing and got her back in the air after a year of conversion. I flew the plane for about 350 hours and all over the place having fun whipping 0235 long ezes in races and such. I sold the plan in 96 to a guy in Florida who had the same fun for a few years. The plane was nearly destroyed in a tornado and sustained considerable damage. Ok so that is my story. I have also modified and raced a 0320 Vari-Eze (my wife's), a 0200 Vari-Eze and a retractable long eze. I am currently building a Defiant for cross country traveling now that I am getting old and want to cruise. So my 19 year old son has a facination for the Q-200 and has just purchased a partial kit to complete. He is heading for NAVY service in about 6 months so I am sure I will need to compelte. My questions are: Are there any parts still available for control rods and other metal parts or will I need to fabricate? Does anyone have a main wing laying around as this one only has the canard and no control surfaces. My son would like to build the plane as a tail dragger, so I need to ask if the handing problems that we had years ago have had some improvements with changes to the plane? Thanks in advance for all the help and I look forward to contributing to the forum as much as possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #978 by admin
Hey Martin,
Good to hear from you. Sounds like you have quite a history with the Quickie and composite construction in general! Great!

I also wanted to point out that I've been trying to get people to use these forums, but it's been a slow process. Your best bet right now is to ask questions on the Yahoo! Q-list located here:

groups.yahoo.com/group/Q-LIST/

As for getting all the parts you need. Sounds like you bought the partial Q-2 kit that was just up on eBay a few days ago. You can continue to monitor eBay, Craigslist, barnstormers etc. to find the parts you need. But I'll bet someone on the Q-list has some of the parts you need laying around.

In addition, if you have the ability to fabricate some parts yourself. I documented all of the metal pieces I removed from my own project and made drawings of everything. You can see them in the online store here: www.quickheads.com/Q-200-Stuff.html

You'll also find the original large template sheets for the main wing and LS1 canard. Hope this is helpful please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
13 years 3 months ago #979 by mskiby
Thanks Dan,

I hope to see more people on here as well, but will also try the other group. I did purchase the one on Ebay for cheap. Also today we purchased the complete kit in Camarillo and will be headed to get it tomorrow. Just 120 miles from my house. Very lucky. So I should have all the parts I need and what I don't have I will certainly make. My son is the actual owner of the kit at 19 years old and we will get started. I will be trying to finish the Defiant at the same time so both will be slow due to time and money.

Thanks again for the help and I certainly hope I can be of help to some folks also.

More
12 years 10 months ago #1117 by haiqu
Fitzgerald Composites has quite a pile of parts for sale, including a Tri-Q LS1 canard, canopy, cowling and main gear legs. They're in Wisconsin.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds