Login Form

Advise, Cracked Wheel Pants at Canard

More
12 years 7 months ago #1179 by SammyQ2
Who was the builder? Just curious.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #1180 by Windwalker
Bernard Peters Built the Airplane 2PQ and the Canard was changed over by Ralph Hook. He also modified the Wheels to be 4 inches taller so that it could get off hot runways in the High Deserts. Being a taller person, the extra height doesn't effect me, however the airplane could be a doozy to climb into by someone shorter.

It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world. Because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past. -Gkar

More
12 years 6 months ago #1181 by SammyQ2
I never heard of adding height to the wheel pants to help it get off the runway better. Hmmm.

I made some extensive changes to my wheel pants a few years back. You can read about it here. Start at the bottom of the page and work your way up. samhoskins.blogspot.com/2005_02_01_archive.html

Good luck.

Sam

More
12 years 6 months ago #1182 by Windwalker
Yea. They found running off hot runways that the temperature close to the runway could be as much as 60 degrees above ambient, adding the extra height to the airfoil reduced its takeoff roll on hot asphalt. I personally can't testify to this working. But the Guy who did it said it worked like a charm. Since I don't have a Before and after analysis I don't think I will ever know. :)

It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world. Because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past. -Gkar

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds