Login Form

Advise, Cracked Wheel Pants at Canard

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #944 by Windwalker
Hello All! I am new, I have just acquired a "Flying" Q2 with the LS1 Carbon fiber canard, Refluxer, etc.. pretty much everything to make it a Q200 except the Engine. The Airplane has over 1500 hours on it and was built in 1986. I have grabbed the Pre-inspection Checklist and I am only finding about 8+ things wrong with the airplane which need to get fixed before it can fly.

I am currently building a Cozy Mark IV so I have experience with composite aircraft. I wanted this "Qute" Quickie for Commuting to work and just building time.

On inspection, I noticed a large crack on the inside of the right gear at the canard side going from the Front to the back. The left side has no such cracks, so this looks like it was caused by a side load during landing. (or a ground loop) I have just acquired this airplane and I want to make sure its safe.

Obviously I don't want to leave a crack there so I am thinking about sanding out the crack and ensuring that it is not in the Fiberglass (The crack looks like its in the Micro only).

Does anyone have a recommendation on what else I should do with this or look for?

Thanks

It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world. Because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past. -Gkar
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by Windwalker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #945 by admin
Hey Robert,
It's hard to tell from the picture how deep this goes, but it looks pretty deep to me. If you support the canard so the wheel is off the ground, does the crack enlarge when you pull the wheel outboard?

You definitely need to sand off the affected area and see how deep the problem is. Do you have a copy of the plans so that you can replace the fiberglass with the same schedule? Let me know.

This might also be a good time to ensure you have a good wheel alignment. Basically, with the plane at gross weight, you want to be able to look through each axle hole and see straight through the other holes on the other side.

Let me kow if this makes sense.

Thanks,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
13 years 7 months ago #946 by Windwalker
Yup! Makes perfect sense. I have the plans. Good Idea to see if the gap opens by pulling. I will have to grab a Hydraulic lift and check it out. The last W&B of the aircraft has it at 534 pounds. I don't want to try and lift half that by myself :p

One thing I am contemplating is ripping the Feet off the bugger and redoing the Wheel Pants. The Q2 has Cleveland Hydraulic brakes and it looks like some odd "Cessna 150" wheel pants have been grafted on. The whole aircraft sits 4 inches taller then stock making the wheel location a longer lever. I am guessing with the Plans layup the structure is not good enough for the extra length.

It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world. Because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past. -Gkar

More
13 years 7 months ago #949 by SammyQ2
Can you post some more photos? There is not enough information here to tell anything.

Sam
Q-200

More
13 years 4 months ago #981 by SammyQ2
What did you ever do about this?

More
12 years 7 months ago #1178 by Windwalker
Well, I talked to the builder of that part of the airplane. He said he laid up a real thick section of micro in that area when it was very cold. I weight tested it to see if at gross if it opened up then I took all the weight off the gear to see if it changed. I hummed and hawed at it for a bit then decided to grind it down to the glass and inspect the glass. I took off about 1/2 an inch of micro until I could clearly see the glass and I inspected it for cracks. There was no damage to the fiberglass, so I refinished my sanding to make it nice and smooth. Currently it is smoothed and prepped for painting. I am leaving it unpainted currently so the work can get inspected then I will paint it and get her up in the air.

I decided to err on the side of safety.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds