Login Form

General Q2 Questions

More
14 years 2 months ago #875 by ks706
General Q2 Questions was created by ks706
I'm considering building a Q2 (or a Dragonfly) and I have a few questions:
1. Does anyone sell Q2 cowls? Approx price range?
2. I see Todd's Canopies offers a Q200 canopy. Same as a Q2 canopy?
3. I would expect some variation between Q2 and Dragonfly numbers, but over 100 lbs difference in empty weight? Can a Q2 really come in under 500 lbs?
3. There are free Q2 plans and purchased plans. Are the free plans for info only, and the purchased plans licensed?

A big Thank You to whoever takes the time to answer all these questions! If you'd rather talk than type, my # is 316-393-1444, and work # is 316-946-7598.

Thanks,

Karl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #876 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:General Q2 Questions
Hi Karl,
I'll amswer your questions to the best of my ability. :)

1. I have a Q-200 cowl that I could probably sell but I don't think it's neccessary. Jim Masal (one of the first Quickie Builders Association Editors) wrote a nice article about how to fabricate a cowl from scratch. This is helpful since there are many engines to choose from and you'd probably need a custom cowl for your installation. The article appears in Newsletters 91 and 92 wich are now part of the online archive:

www.quickheads.com/q-talk-91-fun-with-foam-x-40.html

You will need to join the Quickie Builders Association in order to see the online version though.

www.quickheads.com/join-QBA.html

Otherwise you can order back issues from the original editors using the order form:

www.quickheads.com/backissu.html

2. Todd's Canopies does make canopies for the Q2 and it is the same as the Q-200 canopy.

3. Quickie Aircraft Corporation (the maker of the Quickie designs) went out of business in the mid 1980's. The free plans are for information only, and they appear elsewhere on the web. The plans for purchase do NOT include a license to build either, but they are HIGH Quality scans from original documents to ensure that you get an accurate and complete set.

The purchase price, helps keep this website running and it will turn out to be an insignificant cost in the price of a finished airplane so I hope that you will see the value in starting from a good set.

That being said, Quickie Aircraft Corporation no longer supplies some of the parts that came with the kits, but they turn up from time to time on eBay and Barnstormers.

I answer the "Can I build one from scratch" question a lot, so please review other posts in these forums for further information. For example:

www.quickheads.com/12-q2q-200-forum/681-im-new-from-scrath.html

If you have further questions please let me know. I hope this finds you well and wish you luck as you search for a project.

Warm regards,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds