Login Form

Fuel Tank

More
14 years 7 months ago #730 by utaflyboy
Fuel Tank was created by utaflyboy
Dan,

I was watching your most recent videos and I'm wondering what you plan to do with your fuel tank? I see that you've opened it up. Are you going to replace it?

I've spent a few hours now removing my main tank. The airframe I purchased came with a leaky tank so thats my first big project. I created a website recently if you want to take a look at my progress: www.tri-q.webs.com

I'm debating on how I'm going to replace the tank. I'm thinking about fabricating the tank outside of the plane with a bottom on the tank, as opposed to using the fuselage as the bottom. That way I'll be able to test the tank before installing it. Once that is done I would like to find a way to install it so that I could remove it in the future without much trouble. I'm still in the drawing board stage at this point. If you have any good ideas send them my way.

Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #753 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:Fuel Tank
Hey Keith,
I definitely feel your pain. I will need to replace my main tank as well (obviously.) I saw the work that John Loram did on his Header Tank to ensure that it didn't leak, and I was thinking about doing the same thing.

Namely, I was going to build the Header outside of the fuselage, and put a top on it to ensure that I didn't have any leaks before floxing into the fuselage.

However, I put my feelers out to some people that I respect in the community and they said there really wasn't any good reason to do this. It just adds weight. So now I am seriously thinking about just building both tanks according to the plans.

Lots of people have built them the way QAC intended and had no trouble. The people who ended up with leaking fuel tanks most likely didn't add enough flox around the perimeter, or didn't ensure that the fuselage was sealed properly before closing everything up.

I think the problem with both of my tanks was lack of fuselage sealing. :huh:

What I've discovered with the building process so far, is that the more time you spend re-inventing the wheel the less time you actually spend building. It's more important to keep steady progress happening than to waste time contemplating your next action.

Therefore, I've become a big fan of sticking to the plans as much as possible. Except in those places that 30 years worth of experience has shown don't really work. (Like the taildragger wheel alignment.) You'll be flying much sooner that way.

Just my two cents, please let me know if I can be of any further service.

Cheers,
Dan Yager
www.quickheads.com

PS: I added a link to your website on the links page! (Maybe you wouldn't mind linking back to this site as well.) Please let me know. Thanks.

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by admin. Reason: Added PS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds