Login Form

N920MR

More
15 years 2 months ago #664 by egardner1970
N920MR was created by egardner1970
Hey guys,

I am one of the several hand owners of N920MR and happened across photos of it in the gallery. I have a little history available to whomever needs it. I was in process of rebuilding it with the advice of my friend Bud Starnes. After his passing, I second-guessed myself and sold it. It originally flew but a tailspin on landing caused the owner to park it and gut it.

Eric Gardner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #665 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:N920MR
Hi Eric,
Thanks for signing up. I think we spoke on the phone about a year ago when I was trying to track down the original builder.

www.quickheads.com/Getting-Somewhere.html

I eventually located Marcus, and I'm still working with him to try and get a "Bill of Sale." I do still have a few questions about the plane's history. Did you buy it from a guy with the last name of Kirk by any chance? If so, that would fill in the last gap I have in the ownership chain, just for my own information.

I'd also like to know why a hole was cut in the top of the header tank? Do you know, or was it like that when you got it?

Of course, I'd also be interested in hearing any further details about that "tailspin." Feel free to leave another message here about anything you feel like talking about regarding N920MR.

I want this website to help others learn everything I'm learning about the process of buying a "previously flying" experimental aircraft! :)

Again it's good to hear from you again, and I look forward to reading any further info you could provide.

Thanks again,
Dan Yager

www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by admin.

More
15 years 2 months ago #673 by egardner1970
Replied by egardner1970 on topic Re:N920MR
I'm nearly positive Kirk was the name of the guy in Florida whom I got the plane from. Didn't get a bill of sale from him either.

I had attempted a pressure test on the header tank to discover serious problems. I sanded the top of the fuse to uncover some paint irregularities to find 3 separate patches. I cut the whole thing out to see what was going on. I was going to create a fairly complex version in order to keep a high volume but still be able to get to the motor mount bolts with the O-200 in place (as per Sam Hoskins plane if I remember correctly from the old Quickie archives).

As I understand it, Marcus ground looped it nearly immediately after touchdown and thus anniliated the tailspring. You can see evidence of a repair. I would definitely make the typical mods and direct connect the rudder, etc.

Anyway, the experience caused an off-the-scale pucker factor that he couldn't recover from and subsequently parted the plane out before it had ever clocked its first 40. It sat in Arizona for quite a long time as a relic.

More
14 years 9 months ago #689 by admin
Hey Eric,
When I spoke with Marcus, he checked his logbook and said that he had put about 85 hours on the airframe before a gust of wind caught the canopy and ripped it off.

He gave that as the reason for parting it out. It also seems like Marcus has built several more airplanes since this one. When I told him that I had "his plane" in my garage, he initially didn't know which one I was talking about.

I appreciate the background info.

Cheers,
Dan Yager
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

More
14 years 2 months ago #866 by egardner1970
Replied by egardner1970 on topic Re:N920MR
Hey Dan,

I checked in on your progress. Good job dude! Keep up the good work. Determination is all it will take. When I see those videos, I get "homesick". We are looking at buying another house here in Nashville. One of the perks is that it is on a grass strip airpark. Although a Quickie wouldn't be a good fit for a short grass strip, I will likely get the bug for something!

Keep it up! Don't quit! The ol' girl deserves to get in the air after all the hanger rash she endured over the years.

cya,
Eric

More
14 years 2 months ago #868 by admin
Hey Eric,
Good to hear from you again. Keep me posted on the new house. Sounds like you'll have the bug again soon enough! LOL!

Cheers,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds