Login Form

0-235

More
12 years 8 months ago #1147 by tedweitz
0-235 was created by tedweitz
Hi

I am new here and are looking at an engine-less Q-200. As I am trying to figure out and find an engine I wonder if an 0-235 would be a good engine for the Q or should I stick with an 0-200

Would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Ted

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #1148 by mylittlemgb@yahoo.com
Replied by mylittlemgb@yahoo.com on topic Re: 0-235
A gentalman by the name of Don Beard in KS has a flying Q-235 he is in the process of converting to a TriQ-235. In talking to him he has had no probles with it. It all fitted just fine. So anything is possible you just have to want it. Remember the only difference between a Q2 and a Q200 in the mag box it's not hard to make the conversion.

Richard
F.L.A.Ps

More
12 years 7 months ago #1155 by wvshoem
Replied by wvshoem on topic Re: 0-235
Hi All,

First post for me as I became a Q2 project (airframe is complete and ready for engine and instruments) owner as of earlier this afternoon. I'd like to reopen this discussion to see if there are any more insights with regard to hanging an O235 on the front of a Q2. I have an O235L2C ready to go from my Long EZ project so it would be the most straight forward/cost effective way to go. So any thoughts on the practicality of the physical installation would be helpful as well as any thoughts with regard to the Lycoming O235 vs. the Continental O200 from a performance perspective.

Thanks for any info/thoughts you can provide. Very much looking forward to getting started.

Best,

William

More
12 years 7 months ago #1157 by mylittlemgb@yahoo.com
Replied by mylittlemgb@yahoo.com on topic Re: 0-235
William, as fas as the performance of the 0-235 vs 0-200 it is very small. The Lyc has a little more weight and you pickup 10-15 more horses. The biggest issue will be in getting the CG correct. The 235 on Don's plane flys great the only issue he has had was making it a TriQ. We found due to the sump size and placement the nose gear had to be mounted off center. Not a big deal those who own or fly DA-40's are use to it. The 0200 will have much more support for getting the install done. This is why we have homebuilts we get to chose how our plane are to be built. I will see if I can find you a number for Don Beard, he is a great guy to talk with and I'm sure he can answer any questions so you may continue to move forward.

Richard
Fast Little Airplanes

More
12 years 7 months ago #1160 by wvshoem
Replied by wvshoem on topic Re: 0-235
Richard - I very much appreciate your response. I would love to connect with Don so his contact information would be great.

I'll speak with Don and a few others before I make the decision on which engine to use. I have the O235 with the Sparrow Hawk conversion, which has been ported, polished and balanced and should produce around 140hp. However, if the weight becomes a critical issue, I will go with an O200. I still have lots of info to gather and people to talk to.

Again, thanks for your response and connecting me with Don.

Best,
William

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds