Login Form

Paints and primer

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #1028 by Sharpcf73
Paints and primer was created by Sharpcf73
I want to repaint the quickie I have, What are the best primers and paints out there for these planes? I have read so many different things that I'm more cunfused now than I was.
Basically, I want the uv primer (light color) and then a good flexible paint with everything already mixed in like the clear coat. Or if there is not one with a clear already in it, what clear would be the best?

I don't know much about paints etc. but I do have a pretty nice gun and I have painted several trailers and the racecar with great results. But again these paints were all in one, and all I had to do was mix in reducer and hardner.

On another note, what do y'all think of a Pearl White like the escalades?

Thanks for any help...
Craig

Oh one more thing if you know of a certian brand, and amounts needed, or a good place to buy them that would be great too....
Thanks

Craig Foust
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Sharpcf73.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #1029 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:Paints and primer
Hey Craig,
Pearl white sounds good to me! But again you have to be careful about the temperature profile of the paint you choose. The article from Soaring magazine mentioned in Chapter 3 of the plans is located here:

www.quickheads.com/why-is-white-so-sacred.html

Also, the most lively place to ask questions about your project seems to be the Yahoo! Q-list. You can join that by clicking here:

groups.yahoo.com/group/Q-LIST/

I'm trying to get people interested in posting here, but so far it seems like steering one of those huge oil tankers on the open seas! (It's slow to change direction!)

Hope this helps. Please let me know.

Warm regards,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
13 years 1 month ago #1030 by Sharpcf73
Replied by Sharpcf73 on topic Re:Paints and primer
Thanks,

Yeah I wish the forums would come to life.. I don't understand the yahoo group thing. I'm certian it's simple just haven't played with it much to know.

Guess I'll ask the question there on the different primers and stuff you can use on the composit materal.

Craig

Craig Foust

More
13 years 1 month ago #1031 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:Paints and primer
Hey Craig,
I posted your question on Yahoo already and this is the only response I've received so far:

Not many responses regarding paint. Here is a link to my web site on the subject of painting: corvairq.info/Paint%20Ideas.htm . Hope this helps.

Joseph Snow
Q2xx, N240JS
Euclid, Ohio

Joseph Snow is a good guy, he's nearing first flight in his corvair powered Q-200. His website has a lot of build detail as well, so it's a great resource. Please let me know if this is any help.

Warm regards,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
13 years 1 month ago #1032 by wypaul
Replied by wypaul on topic Re:Paints and primer
You need to join the yahoo Qlist if you want replies. I used PPG products. Concept is a single stage paint but if you want to add a pearl you may want to do what I did and shoot a clear with the pearl in it on top. It will take far less pearl to do the job.

There are a lot of paints you can use, pick a brand and use their primer system. I like PPG because they are very helpful here. So find someone that will give you advice and go with their products is my advice.
Paul

More
13 years 1 month ago #1033 by Sharpcf73
Replied by Sharpcf73 on topic Re:Paints and primer
Thanks Paul... I will check with out local stores and go from there. Btw was the clear hard to shoot in comparison to the paint?
Crai

Craig Foust

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds