Login Form

MAS epoxy

More
13 years 1 month ago #1013 by spilligan
MAS epoxy was created by spilligan
Hi all.
I'm along time ago kit buyer who half built (???) my kit in about 4 years and haven't touched it for 21 years and am now about to start again.
I see a product call MAS epoxy which sounds to have desirable characteristics for composite sport aircraft building. Is this so? Any warning precautions or general comments would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Trevor
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #1073 by haiqu
Replied by haiqu on topic Re:MAS epoxy
The only MAS epoxy I can find via Google seems to be advertised for boat building. It won't be suitable therefore.

Check other forum topics, this has been covered before:

www.quickheads.com/14-q1-forum/767-struc...l-resin-systems.html

BTW are you in Australia, seems so by your email address. I'd be interested in seeing the project if you're not too far from Melbourne, this must be one Quickie nobody knew about!

Rob
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by haiqu.

More
12 years 11 months ago #1076 by spilligan
Replied by spilligan on topic Re:MAS epoxy
Oops, sorry Rob, I think I managed to send a half complete message by hitting the TAB key but am not sure if in fact I just lost the lot. At the risk of repetition ....
I am resuming building after 20 odd years lay off. I'm in Perth
So far work I have done back then includes
Forward fuselage with forward canopy fitted, all bulkheads fitted and the main
fuel tanks, arm rests, instrument panel, firewall in.
Tri Q undercarriage fitted with air brake in
Rear fuselage fitted to forward fuselage but tailplane not attached
Main wing built, ailerons built but not attached.
Original GU core foam cut but not fitted or glassed.
Ailerons made.
I have a couple of months study and exams in front of me and will do nothing until that is done, but then I should be able to get some pics taken.
I will be in Melbourne for a week in early December and would love to catch up and chat and look at your kit or flying aircraft it that would be a possibility. As a Q builder in Ozz it's going to be a bit lonely I think, so any real contact would be motivating I think.
Cheers Rob

Trevor

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #1077 by haiqu
Replied by haiqu on topic Re:MAS epoxy
Hi Trev,

Perth! Bloody hell, it had to be Perth. Oh well. Some pics would be nice to see, sounds like you've got quite a lot done. By the description I'm assuming it's a Tri-Q2 you're building there.

I don't actually have anything for you to see, did manage to find a Q1 at one stage but it was in NZ and I sold it on without ever bringing it over here to Melbourne because of shipping costs.

One thing you might like to catch up on is the GU canard controversy. They didn't fly very well in rain and really need to have vortex generators fitted. The other alternative is the upgraded LS1 canard but that requires an expensive carbon fibre spar to be fitted and they are pretty much unobtainium nowadays.

There are three Q2's and four Q200's flying in Australia. All were built via the SAAA and require a full PPL to fly because of their high stall speed. There are also three Q1's, one is VH registered and the other two are in RA-Aus registration. Unfortunately for you they're all on the East Coast, mostly NSW. I also know of one Q2 that's in bits — imported partly built and never completed — and a Q1 that has flown and being rebuilt.

There are no Q1's left flying in NZ, one landed in the ocean and isn't being flown any longer, plus the one I owned which is slowly being rebuilt. There is a Q2 and two Q200's currently on their register and assumed airworthy.

Cheers,

Rob
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by haiqu.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.581 seconds