Login Form

DragonFly vs. Rotax engines

More
11 years 11 months ago #1267 by Shadow
Hi, I'm a new Dragon Fly owner in Portland, OR. My bird has flown before, but did not come with a motor, and I am looking for recommendations and advice on engine selection. To be honest, the way I'm going to be travelling around the mountains up here in the NW, I'd like to put oxygen in the bird and a Rotax 914 turbo on it - but would like advice on that, as well as recommended structural changes required to the firewall. The engine is lighter than the previous Subaru, so I'm mostly concerned with Horsepower and recommended Props.

Speaking of props - I'd like to match a three blade constant speed to the Rotax - - recommendations? Best prop builders for the aircraft?

Thanks so much - I'm sure any answers will simply generate a lot more questions, but I'd love the help.
v/r
Major Tony "Shadow" Edwards
AF Pilot - first time canard flier.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #1268 by mylittlemgb@yahoo.com
Hello Tony,

Sorry for the delay on this. We (F.L.A.Ps)are working on a Rotax 912/914 mount for the Q's but can make some small changes to it for the Dragonfly without a problem. The firewall will not need to be changed structurally, just need to make sure the mount can attach to the original location of the VW mount. My question for you is why do you want to use the Rotax 914 engine. There are so many other option that cost much less and are less in the maintance side of things. One of those is the HKS and you can get it as turbo normalized. No matter how you want to go if you would like help in the area of parts or other options please feel free to give us a call anytime.

Richard Kaczmarek
Fast Little Airplanes LLC
Woodstock, OH
937-243-7303
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
11 years 11 months ago #1269 by Shadow
No problem, I appreciate you taking the time.

I'm interested in the mounting, and I sent you a private email to discuss it more.

v/r
Shadow

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds