Login Form

Q1 Parts List.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago - 15 years 3 weeks ago #680 by admin
Q1 Parts List. was created by admin
The Quickie Builder Association website at www.quickiebuilders.org has an excel spreadsheet with all of the parts neccessary to build a single seat Quickie.

File Attachment:

File Name: quickie_pa..._qac.xls
File Size:59 KB

It would be nice if we could add more information to this spreadsheet, including part numbers from Aircraft Spruce or Wick's.

If you'd like to participate in this collaboration, simple download the Excel Spreadsheet, edit it, save it with another file name, and upload the file again to a new post in this thread.

Renaming the file will ensure that that previous versions are not overwritten. If you have suggestions, questions, or comments about this project, please add a post to this thread.

I look forward to working with you all.

Warm regards,
Dan Yager
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 years 3 weeks ago by admin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #711 by SteveC68
Replied by SteveC68 on topic Re:Q1 Parts List.
I took a look at this yesterday. Any of the bolts, nuts, washers, etc basically anything that has a part number that starts with AN can be found/bought from Aircraft Spruce. Just type in the AN number and you are golden. At this point there are only a few parts on this list that I haven't nailed down. I hope to have it all sorted out pretty soon though.

Also I have a line on drawings that at one time were offered by someone on the Q-List group. Well I tracked him down on another group and he is updating his drawings and they should soon be finished. These drawings are for all of the prefabricated/welded parts that were supplied by QAC. He even has a drawing for the tailwheel yoke although that was a cast aluminum part so you would need to come up with a substitute. But at least you have some basic measurements to go off of.

Steve

More
14 years 7 months ago #712 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:Q1 Parts List.
Hi Steve,
I assume you're referring to Leon McAtee. He's a good guy. I appreciate your efforts and look forward to seeing the results.

My ultimate goal is to link each part back to the appropriate page on Aircraft Spruce's site. That will make it easier to assemble a Quickie from scratch eventually.

Hope that makes sense. Please let me know.

Cheers,
Dan Yager
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #713 by haiqu
Replied by haiqu on topic Re:Q1 Parts List.
Apparently Leon has a complete set of either drawings or metal parts, and has recently been putting out feelers to see if anyone would be interested in buying complete sets if he got them made. I haven't been able to find drawings of any of these QAC parts, and in fact the necessity to buy a kit was the exact reason I didn't pursue building a Quickie after receiving the info pack from them in 1979.

Some years ago when I ran a manufacturing business (lasercutting) a guy came in and asked me to cut some odd-shaped brackets. When I enquired what they were for he replied that he was a member of a worldwide group of Bentley car owners, and that they kept their 1920's machines going by each member taking responsibility for having ONE part manufactured and trading with other owners.

A very sensible way to do things, since it affords the economy of scale and allows the individual to concentrate on getting that part perfect. Maybe it could work for the Quickie, but I'd still rather have a complete set of plans. Look what happened to the guys who bought one when QAC went out of business ...
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by haiqu.

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #714 by haiqu
Replied by haiqu on topic Re:Q1 Parts List.
To go back to the thread's main topic, I find the whole spreadsheet woefully inadequate.

Example:

Airspeed Indicator 1 ea QAC 0-180mph

Oh really? Have you actually seen one?

All the indicators at AS&S start at 20mph or 40mph. The listing doesn't specify a Vne marking (which the original probably had), or diameter, or manufacturer, or whether a TSO'd meter is specified (probably not).

In other words it's RUBBISH, and so are the plans, which don't even show the panel layout.

I should also point out that the list has significant omissions, such as a pitot tube, ammeter and Hobbs meter.

Rob
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by haiqu.

More
14 years 6 months ago #716 by SteveC68
Replied by SteveC68 on topic Re:Q1 Parts List.
The spreadsheet indicates there is an RAES and an RAEF resin, yet the plans indicate there is an RAE resin and you make it RAES (slow cure) and RAEF (fast cure) by adding either slow or fast hardener. I would guess the total amount of resin needed would be 8 gallons sum of the two different types on the spreadsheet, but that's just a guess. Then 7 quarts of fast hardener and 1 quart of slow. That last part seems backwards to me as after reading through the plans a couple of times the majority of the plane is both assembled and covered with slow cure.

Steve

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds