Login Form

Gall as to Q1

More
8 years 6 months ago #1470 by F3A-1
Gall as to Q1 was created by F3A-1
In the fast taxi, up to 45kts, I was using up to 1/2 left rudder to go straight. I felt the pull to the right would be due to alignment issues. I have made repairs to the canard (somewhat superficial) and now have moved on to the application of the "Gall wheel alignment". As it would apply to the Q-1, I assume you would sight the opposite inner wheel axle and ahead as the Q-2, but is 2" the point for Quickies too?

The right wheel was very much toed out. About 10" forward, and 4" down @ gross. The left was just below the right axle a couple of inches.

Thanks,
Lex

An ego is no match for gravity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #1471 by F3A-1
Replied by F3A-1 on topic Gall as to Q1
I have the axles aligned as the Q-2, sighted level with the opposite axle and 2" ahead.

I will wait for confirming this for the Quickie before I bond the new position. I am anxious to compare the handling change.

Thanks,
Lex

More
8 years 6 months ago #1472 by F3A-1
Replied by F3A-1 on topic Gall as to Q1
"Bueler,Bueler......?"

Well, I used the Q-2 numbers and it was a great improvement! I taxied it at a lower speed of up to 30 MPH today and it was much easier to keep at least near the center line. I think the next change will be to the tailwheel caster angle. Any change in rudder pedal position or pressure results in a "dart", in that direction. Any over correction would make matters worse. PIO on the rudder pedals is a real concern in Quickies. They are a BLAST, even to taxi.

Lex

More
8 years 6 months ago #1473 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Gall as to Q1
Oops! Sorry Lex . . . I've been doing a lot of traveling for work and I haven't been able to respond.

At any rate, I don't think the Gall wheel alignment was really meant for the Q1 (at least not the measurements.) However, I think the theory is still sound.

The idea would be to align all of the axles hole when you are at max gross weight on the ground. You should be able to sites through all four of the holes in this condition . . . or at least come pretty close to it.

-Dan Yager
QBA Editor

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.620 seconds