Login Form

Wing washout

More
15 years 2 months ago #660 by Graeme Stubbings
Can anyone help? I need to know the washout in degrees for the Q1 wings. The plans merely advise the win [file] [file] gs have twist.I am about to start cutting the two right wing panels with a CNC hot wire cutter and need this information to program the computer. From my eyeballing I think the inner panel may be 1 degree and the outer 2 degrees making a total of 3 degs. Am I right? I am trying not to waste too much foam experimenting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #661 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:Wing washout
The original Templates have "level lines" drawn on them. Would that help you to determine the angles?

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but I'll try to put you in contact with someone who knows.

Stand by. :)

-Dan Yager

www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by admin.

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #667 by admin
Hi Graeme,
I posed this question to some other Quickie builders and I got the following response from Larry Severson:

The plans say nothing about washout degrees. However, if you hot wire to plans, you WILL have the desired plan washout. For a person using a CNC device, the twist can be calculated simply by using the length of the segment and the amount of drop going from the inside to the outside front. Use a protractor placed at the projected tip defined by an in place control trailing edge.

Actually, it mystifies why the plane has washout. The purpose of
washout is to insure that the ailerons (area of) are stalled last.
With washout the wing stalls inboard. On the Q, the ailerons/elevators are near the root. I think that it works because
the surfaces cover so much of the span. Of course, the span of the
controls needs to be great because they are inboard and have a small moment arm of action. If the controls were placed out at the tips, they could be smaller but more complex in manufacture.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852

The best advice I've gotten from people though is to "build it per plans" first and then make modifications if you need to, after you've flown it for a while. So I don't recommend building it without washout.

Please let me know if you have a set of templates though. Those should give you enough information to figure it out using the BL measurements, and level lines.

CLICK HERE for a complete set of Q1 templates with GU canard templates.

Or CLICK HERE for a verified set of LS1 templates and instructions for the Q1.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan Yager

www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by admin.

More
15 years 2 months ago #671 by Graeme Stubbings
Replied by Graeme Stubbings on topic Re:Wing washout
Hi Dan,
Thank you for your efforts. I do have a set of templates and I did use a protractor to come up with my numbers but am concerned at their exactitude. I shall use 2 one inch slices of foam on the cutting table at what would be either end of the panels and offer the results up to my templates to confirm them. The plans call for washout , I shall have washout.

Regards
Graeme Stubbings

More
15 years 2 months ago #672 by admin
Graeme,
That's good to hear. Please document what your doing, I'm sure lots of people would like to hear how this turns out for you.

You can even use this site as a blog if you're interested. I have plenty of space for pictures, and you can use it for free.

Keep up the good work and good luck!

Cheers,
Dan Yager

www.quickheads.com

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds