Login Form

Q2 too hard to handle

More
11 years 11 months ago #1260 by drburge
Hi, what's the trick in learning to take off in the Q2. I don't seem to be able to keep it straight on the runway and am a bit worried when the time comes to land also. I have experience in C172, C182 and Citabrias. I have only recently purchased this plane have been practising higher speed taxiing. Duane Port Pirie South Australia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #1261 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Q2 too hard to handle
Hi Duane,
Please be careful. When the Q2 first came out it was clear that there was something wrong with the ground handling on most people's homebuilt versions. Over the years the members of the Quickie Builders Association developed the "Jim-Bob Six Pack" which is a set of six modifications to the airframe that will improve ground handling significantly.

The most important modification is making sure that your main axle holes are aligned at gross weight. This means that when the aiplane is loaded, you can look through the axle hole on either side of the canard, and see the axle holes on the other side of the canard.

I suspect that this is NOT true on your airplane. Please do not attempt to fly before you get the ground handling under control.

Back issues of the Newsletter discuss the other mods, and I can try to track them down for you if needed.

Good luck, and please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by admin. Reason: typos

More
11 years 11 months ago #1262 by drburge
Replied by drburge on topic Re: Q2 too hard to handle
Hi Dan, thanks for the prompt response. I've been out and checked the alignment. Unladen, you can see the other axle although it is high in the view. With 2 fat buggers in it you are looking at the ground through the axles. So it would seem the wheels are aligned except for leaning slightly inwards when viewed from the front of the plane. I have tried to find the jim-bob six pack but there are a mountain of newsletters. Any idea which issue? Thanks, Duane

More
11 years 11 months ago #1263 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Q2 too hard to handle
Duane,
Actually, it sounds like your alignment and camber are off to me. With "two fat buggers" you should be able to see the other axle hole. (Or very close to it.) This means that the main wheels are vertical on the pavement, and pointing straight down the runway/taxiway. It really doesn't matter what you can see when the plane is empty, because the plane shouldn't be landing, taking off, or taxiing when empty. :woohoo:

Kitplanes did an article on Jim Patillo's plane and he discusses the "Six Pack" under the heading "Rudder, What Rudder?" You can view the article here:

www.quickheads.com/magazine-articles/kit...es-las-vegas-quickie

That will give you a brief overview of the mods, I will write an article that discusses all of the mods in more detail, and place it in the SAFETY section of the newsletter. That will make it a little easier to find.

Hope this helps a bit, please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
11 years 11 months ago #1270 by swings5
Replied by swings5 on topic Re: Q2 too hard to handle
My first post to any blog. I am just finishing up my Q200 after purchasing it back from one I sold it to a while back. I am a little nervous about flying it again since it has been so long but I am sure I will figure it out. A few things that I found helped in the ground handling of the airplane is time in another tail dragger to learn how to stay ahead of what is going on. Remember to make only enough correction to stop you from going the wrong way and work your way back to the centerline slowly. Trying to correct to quickly will result in a side skid. Besides the toe out or your tire alignment, it is really important to use the soft tire and not the tire that came with the plane. I used the one that came off of the Glasair TD which is fatter and softer. Another important part is the pivot at the tail wheel fork. The stock pivot is perpendicular to the tail spring and that is wrong as it falls over when you turn and besides putting a twist load on the spring, it also makes it more difficult to straighten it back up. I took the pivot, cut half the angle I needed, turned the one half over and welded it back on. The pivot needs to be roughly perpendicular to the ground if not slightly top forward which is centering. Mine is just about perpendicular. This makes a big difference in handling. The problem is the speed at which the rudder becomes effective and the speed at which the original tire would skid. You can also set your rudder with a slight offset to help with the p-factor and torque of the engine. This gives you a slight angle with your tail wheel at cruise but not enough to hurt your speed and not enough to cause a problem on landing. One more thing is the ground angle of attack. This is more about the landing than the take off but too much angle makes it tougher to see on take off and also tougher to get a three point landing, unless you have a reflexor like most have. I flew one Q2 that had the canard built with lots more anhedral and we had to re-position the tail spring to get his ground angle of attack correct. I cannot remember the angle that you need but I always check with a angle finder just behind the cowling and 4 degrees rings a bell but I could be wrong so don't use that number. I can find it out if you want it or you can measure one that is correct. Once you get all of these things correct you will be able to fly places and land in crosswinds that might seem impossible now. Thats all I can think of right now but if I think of something else I will let you know. I am sure this stuff has been gone over before. I had about 700 hours in my Q2 then Q200 before I sold it. Scott

More
11 years 11 months ago #1271 by drburge
Replied by drburge on topic Re: Q2 too hard to handle
Thanks Scott,
I'm after all the advice I can get. Yes, I am sure it has all been gone over before but I am new to all this and sifting through all the old archives would take ages. I spoke to the previous owner and he claims the wheel alignment is fine just like it is. He had no trouble with flying it. I have found that one brake disc may be slightly warped as it drags in one spot even just turning it by hand. I will check it with a dial indicator. As I didn't build the plane, our rules state that I must get a LAME to maintain it so I am very limited as to what I can do. He is also 400km away so things will be happening slowly. In the meantime, I plan to get some hours in a dragonfly as there are no quickies even in my state.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds