Login Form

Q-2 elevator mid span hinge problem

More
12 years 1 month ago #1252 by bigdogpilot
After reading about the fatal loss of an elevator on a Q-2, i decided to check mine. Upon removal I found that the original builder had removed over half of the diameter of CS16 at the mid span hinge point. The plans call for only a total of 34 degrees cutout. CS16 is the torque tube for the elevator and removing more metal than specified is not acceptable.
After discussing the problem with several people I came up with a fix that doesn't require building new elevators. Richard Kaczmarek of Fast Little Airplanes (FLAP) is assisting me with parts for this. I have taken step by step pictures of the modification and have this available for posting on QBA. -Mike McGowan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #1253 by admin
Hey Mike,
I will send you an e-mail offlist here in a minute. This sounds like a great SAFETY article for the newsletter.

Thanks,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
12 years 1 week ago #1264 by bigdogpilot
Dan
My attempt at salvaging my Q-2 elevators using a tube within a tube repair came to a screaching halt this morning as the inside tube carring the new hinge pin wedged itself tightly before reaching it's correct position. Nothing can be done now except build new elevators, I almost don't want to go on with it. -Mike

More
12 years 5 days ago #1266 by admin
Mike,
Sorry for the late response. I was out of town on business.

Don't despair though. The tasks ahead are usually easier to perform, than you make them out to be in your head. It's one of those lovely aspects of homebuilding. Usually the largest obstacles are in your head. Please just rool up your sleeves and keep at it. We are here to help if you have questions.

Warm regards,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds