Login Form

Repower of q2 to Q200 now what prop?

More
12 years 5 months ago #1196 by Andominos
I am repowering a q2 with an O-200 i was hoping to get some feedback and suggestions on props

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #1197 by Windwalker
I have also been thinking about doing that conversion as well. One thing I do know is the Q2 is set up for counter rotating engine. So the Rudder is slightly canted to even out the slipstream caused by the rotation of the prop. I know a Gentleman who flew into my airport with a Tri-Q which had the Q2 - Q200 engine conversion and he complained he needed full right rudder and full aileron to keep tracking straight on takeoff. I am wondering if you had a climb prop if that would cause the problem to be worse.

It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world. Because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past. -Gkar

More
11 years 11 months ago #1275 by swings5
Hi,

Short answer is yes, the more power you make the more torque and p-factor you get. A cruise prop will give you a lower static rpm so there is less to mess you up. I have an 0200 and it is probably better as a tail dragger since you have direct steering for most of the takeoff run. I have my rudder kicked out about 1/4" to 1/2" when the tail wheel is straight. This makes the tail wheel out of alignment in cruise but it does help with the take off. Canting the engine will help a little but not as much as you think. I think the 0200 installation instructions tell you how much cant and nose down to put into it before you fit your cowling. You also have to decide on your cooling inlets and outlets as well as your baffling so you don't need an oil cooler. If you want some pics of mine just let me know and I will take some pics and email them to you. I have very small inlets next to the spinner. I have have also removed the firewall at the bottom to follow the canard making the V shape and allowing my exhaust to exit through this opening with no bumps at all. I get around 207 mph with the 0200. My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Scott

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds