Login Form

Q2 Datum point

More
12 years 6 months ago #1183 by bigdogpilot
Q2 Datum point was created by bigdogpilot
What is the Q2 datum point? 40.16? From what starting point?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #1184 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Q2 Datum point
Hey Big Dog,
The 0 (Zero) station is the tip of the spinner on the prototype. However, since no 2 experimentals are built exactly the same, we tend to use the firewall as a reference. On all of the Q2 and Q-200's this is supposed to be at Station 14.

The tip of your spinner might be a negative station, but the firewall will always be 14. Hope that helps.

Warm regards,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
12 years 6 months ago #1185 by bigdogpilot
Replied by bigdogpilot on topic Re: Q2 Datum point
Thanks, but is the datum point (balance point) 40.16 inch back from station 14 (firewall)? I'm doing weight and balance on my Q-2.

More
12 years 6 months ago #1186 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Q2 Datum point
To answer your question. . . No.

If the firewall is ST14 and you want the plane to balance at ST40.16 then it would be 26.16" behind the firewall. Does that make sense?

However, I think you have a misconception of how to calculate the C.G. In the Pilot's Operating Handbook (Page 4-3) the sample loading problem shows the arm of the airplanes empty weight as 40.16 inches.

C.G. should be thought of as a range, since it will change as you burn off fuel, or change the loading of the passengers and baggage. You'll notice that you should not use the data in the sample loading problem, it is only there to show you how to do the calculations. You must use actual data from your OWN airplane to calculate its C.G. and then determine on the graph if it falls within the appropriate range.

Hope this makes sense. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
12 years 5 months ago #1188 by bigdogpilot
Replied by bigdogpilot on topic Re: Q2 Datum point
Is there a place where it tells exactly how to do the weight and balance on my Q2?

More
12 years 5 months ago #1189 by Windwalker
Replied by Windwalker on topic Re: Q2 Datum point
There is a Section in the Q2 pilots handbook which talks about how to do it step by step. I don't have mine here at work, I might be able to track it down tonight. I just did my Weight and Balance yesterday and.. I notice that when my fuel gets low my Aft CG is out of range no matter how much weight I have or don't have in the seats.

It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world. Because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past. -Gkar

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds